Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dairy goat feeding.....

We have started 'lead' feeding a few girls. One is a coming yearling and is due in just over a month, so she is just being started on a 14% grain- she gets a large handful. I'll work her up to about 3/4 pound over the next 4 weeks, adding a bit more each Monday which is the day I adjust grain.... It works for me...

I have a couple does that are just absolutely huge- not fat, just packing possibly a lot of kids. Those I have also started lead feeding some grain- they are getting about 1/4 pound of grain per day right now, again I'll increase that by about 1/4 pound each Monday... This is to prevent Ketosis as they are going to have diminished rumen space sooner, which means they won't be able to consume as much feed at a time, which could put them at a nutrient and carbohydrate deficit... These ladies are due the first week of March and are 3 and 4 years old...

Right now the herd is on 2/3 alfalfa hay and 1/3 grass hay. Due dates mostly fall into last week of Feb and 1st 2 weeks of March....

They get Kop-Sel and DWorm BWW mixed in their kelp that I'm offering them 2x a week, and also I put about 1 1/2 tsp on the grain of any does getting lead fed.... I will start putting kelp out every other day, and once they are all in milk they will have it in the bottom of their grain pan, so they can eat it after their grain if they want it....

They have their rain barrelled water for soft water, and right now the weather is contributing well to keeping that full....

Blessings! Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment